If you come from a country in the European Union or European Economic Area and you have the European health insurance card, you do not need to subscribe to the French student national health insurance scheme.  The same applies if you come from Quebec and have proof of health coverage in your country.
In the other cases, you must register with the French national health insurance scheme for students. 
If you are staying in France for less than three months, you must take out private insurance.

National health scheme for students: conditions and registration

To be reimbursed for your healthcare costs, you must meet several conditions:

  • Be enrolled in a university or graduate school that adheres to the student health scheme, and
    Have a valid residence permit

The situation then depends on your age and country of origin.
You register with the national health scheme for students when you enrol in your school or university. It costs €215, payable at the same time as your enrolment fees. 
If you are studying in France for less than 3 months, you cannot register with the scheme. 

Find out more: 


Supplementary health insurance

  • You can take out supplementary health insurance with one of the mutual companies. This supplements the national health reimbursement, to cover all or most of the costs.
    In France, student mutual health insurance companies offer specific supplementary insurance cover for international students. 


  • You must have your own bank account to receive reimbursements of your medical costs.
    You are also advised to choose a general practitioner to be your attending doctor.  
    Schools and universities require a civil liability policy. This will cover you in the event of damage or harm to a third party. 

  • We recommend the ‘Packs en France’ offers.